Monday 1 April 2024

Standing up to stand out

I recently finished a stand-up comedy course and have now performed at a couple of gigs.

Why did I do it?

Well, to start it’s another of those itches that I needed to scratch, and get out of my system, just like the radio presenting and singing. I get bored of routine and I’m always looking for the next challenge in my work and my personal life.

But, the real reason is I like to stretch myself, go beyond my comfort zone, and try out new things. I believe this enhances confidence, especially for public speaking. It has helped me overcome my nerves when speaking to large conference audiences - a room of tame delegates is no match for a bar full of drunken punters demanding to be entertained.

Trying new things also appears to open up new neural pathways, which is great for creativity and writing. The comedy course taught me how to explore ideas, bring buried ones to the fore and how to make connections between them. It also taught me not to stifle any initial (maybe wacky) ideas until they are aired and explored.

And finally, the comedy course taught me to be genuine to myself. To not be overly concerned about what others think. To every naysayer there is someone on your wavelength that appreciates your original thoughts.

Go on, try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment